Wednesday 19 November 2008

What a difference 1st class makes...

My adventure got off to a good start with a sneaky upgrade to first class on my flight to Washington D.C. One of my sister's colleagues very kindly moved me from an already spacious business class seat before takeoff. Instead of having plenty of leg room, a good selection of wines and decent food, I had a private suite with fully-flat bed, an even more extensive selection of wines and even better food. It really did make all the difference...

After touchdown in DC, I progressed through immigration and customs thinking how smoothly the day had gone so far. The experience of past trips left me thinking that something could, and probably would, go wrong at any moment. However, everything continued to go well. I re-checked my luggage to New York and managed to get the last seat on the flight to LaGuardia. Then the wheels came off. As my first suitcase emerged wearily on the baggage conveyor, I thought I was home free. I waited for the second one thinking how I would be sipping a beer shortly thereafter. It never happened. The second suitcase didn't arrive. Instead, thanks to United Airline's handy new computer terminal that allows you to try and find your own lost luggage (what does that say about their track record? I guess you can't shout abuse at a computer... not without seeming insane anyway) My inconvenient suitcase had decided to separate from it's partner and take a later flight. Two hours later, it emerged looking smug and arrogant. I dragged it away to atone for it's sins in the boot of an NYC cab. 
Day 1 was complete. I had that beer after all, having purchased a 6-pack of Heineken from the shop next to Russell's apartment. Lesson number 1: the guy in that store makes up prices based on how much he thinks you can pay. Note to self: wear fingerless gloves, a ratty old wool coat and frayed trousers next time I feel like a drink...

Word Watch:  Bodega.  A Grocery-store in a Spanish neighborhood. Now applies to any small convenience store in NYC.

1 comment:

Dulce said...

Hey Greg-star, nice blog! Didn't know you were blogging!
Welcome to the blogosphere!
Cynthia
(My blog is Dulce Camer)
Ciao
xxx